Ware Shoals School District 51 (WSSD 51) is exploring the option of offering a fully-virtual program for the 2021-22 school year.
To be considered for this option students must meet the following criteria:
- Students in grades 5k-8th must make a semester long commitment and will be instructed by an EdOptions Academy teacher. Students must attend all live-sessions.
- Students in grades 9-12 must make a year long commitment and will be provided instruction through the State's VirtualSC program.
- Students who have been unsuccessful in the distance learning academy during the 2020-21 school year will not be recommended for enrollment.
- Parents/Guardians must transport all Distance Learning Academy students to school for formative and state level assessments and attend all parent conferences.
- Students must have access to reliable internet and agree to the district's technology and internet use agreements.
Please Note: Due to the nature of the three (3K) and four year-old kindergarten (4K) curriculum and the age of the students, the virtual program will not be available for 3K or 4K students.
If your child has an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), the IEP team is required to meet to make revisions to your child’s IEP. The IEP revisions will provide information on the type, frequency and amount of special education services, targeted goals, accommodations and modifications, and progress monitoring for the IEP. IEP teams will meet following a reasonable and/or feasible time frame.If your child has a Section 504 Accommodations Plan, the Section 504 team is required to meet to discuss any needed revisions to the Accommodations Plan. The Section 504 team will meet following a reasonable and/or feasible time frame.
FORMAT (subject to change)
Ware Shoals School District 51 will partner with Edmentum's Ed Options Academy to provide online instruction to students in grades 5K-8th grade.
9th - 12th Grade:
Teachers from VirtualSC will provide instruction to students in grades 9-12. VirtualSC has a very specific guidelines and application process. More information about VirtualSC can be found here:
Important: All instructors will be South Carolina certified but will not be employees of Ware Shoals School District 51. Students will be required to participate in all live instructional lessons.
This application is due by April 20th at 5:00PM. If you sign up for the virtual program and change your mind before school begins, please notify your child's guidance counselor as soon as possible so we can make necessary adjustments.
A separate form must be completed for each child enrolling in the Distance Learning Academy. This form should not be filled out if you plan to enroll your child in the traditional face to face setting.
Every student must still register in person on July 22, 2021.
FILL OUT THIS APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE 2021-22 DISTANCE LEARNING ACADEMY (coming soon)
If you have any questions, please reach out to your child's guidance counselor.