The district currently has four task forces examining recommendations and data from the SC Department of Education, SC Department of Health and Environmental Control, and the Centers for Disease Control, while keeping in mind what's best for members of the WSSD51 family. The task forces are planning for instruction, transportation, food service, facilities, communications, and human resources.
The task forces have met several times to prepare flexible plans for 2020-21 school year, because we know conditions will change as time goes on. While we are anxious to return to learning in our school buildings, we want to be sure that we do so in the safest way possible. Our plans will be focused on student / staff health and safety, options for families, and equitable learning for all.
We appreciate the feedback we have received from staff and parents so far. Our plans will be presented to the Board of Trustees and publicly shared upon receiving approval from the SC Department of Education. We hope to be able to share our plans the week of July 20th.
LEARNING...SERVING...LEADING together, as we embrace safe practices so that children can be in school each and every day. We must all do our part to end the pandemic!
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at east 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Limit contact with others as much as possible.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people. Remember that some people without symptoms may be able to spread virus. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.